Modern day dentistry now offers better solutions to solve tooth loss than partial dentures.
Dental implants in Dallas TX have become a more widely accepted solution despite the higher costs. So why are more people choosing dental implants in Dallas over traditional dentures.
Let’s take a look at the real disadvantages of traditional partial dentures.
Partial dentures exist in two forms. There are fixed partial dentures known as FPDs and removable partial dentures known as RPDs.
Both fixed partial dentures and removable partial dentures have serious disadvantages. Some are more expensive than others offering a better appearance, others are cheaper but require more maintenance.
Fixed partial dentures.
Fixed partial dentures are also known as dental bridges are normally used in the case of 3 or less missing teeth in a row. Bridges are new false teeth fixed to the jaw. They don’t work very well if you have more than 3 teeth missing. Bridges are often hard to clean and lead to oral problems. Due to their permanent nature, dental bridges are often subject to inflammation. They are also more expensive than removable partial dentures.
Real disadvantages of conventional fixed bridges.
- They require considerably more dental care
- Conventional fixed bridges require a considerable amount more tooth reduction than bonded fixed bridges
- Conventional bridges often don’t look as natural as bonded fixed bridges
- Real disadvantages of bonded fixed bridges
- Bonded fixed bridges often do not last as long as conventional bridges
- Bonded fixed bridges are less reliable
- Gum tissue of shrinks leaving empty spaces leading to additional dental problems
Removable partial dentures.
Removable partial dentures are a combination of artificial teeth set into a resin base with a metal clasp and frame. The most common removal partial dentures are known as:
- Cast metal
- Flexible framework
Disadvantages of flippers.
- Often require professional adjustment
- Prone to break
Disadvantages of cast metal removable partial dentures.
- While more stable, the weight of the metal frame adds more pressure on existing teeth
- Disadvantages of flexible-framework removable partial dentures
- While more flexible, they are problematic in that they often lead to sore spots
Disadvantages of Nesbit removable partial dentures.
Are designed for a single missing tooth but are not supported by the teeth on either side and put extra pressure on the teeth holding the metal clasps
- Prone to accidental swallowing
- Disadvantages of Cusil removable partial dentures
- Most expensive type of removable partial denture but require extremely good hygiene
- All removable partial dentures require a lot of maintenance and users often complain they feel unstable
Before making a decision on what type of treatment you will choose to solve your problems of a lost tooth or teeth in Dallas, it is well worth looking at the permanent solution of a dental implant in Dallas TX.